24So Moses went out and told the people the words of the Lord; and he gathered seventy elders of the people, and placed them all around the tent. 25Then the Lord came down in the cloud and spoke to him, and took some of the spirit that was on him and put it on the seventy elders; and when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied. But they did not do so again.
26Two men remained in the camp, one named Eldad, and the other named Medad, and the spirit rested on them; they were among those registered, but they had not gone out to the tent, and so they prophesied in the camp. 27And a young man ran and told Moses, “Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp.” 28And Joshua son of Nun, the assistant of Moses, one of his chosen men, said, “My lord Moses, stop them!” 29But Moses said to him, “Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit on them!” 30And Moses and the elders of Israel returned to the camp.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silence bringing your attention to the Breath.
- Remember a spiritual mentor who has nurtured you in your faith journey.
- Imagine God taking some of the spirit fire from your mentor and placing it upon you as the mantle of wisdom is spread from one spiritual friend to another.
- Feel the spirit fire move from your head through your body to rest in the place you feel the divine spark within you.
- Be warmed by the spirit fire as it moves through you.
- Pay particular attention to places that need to be warmed and freed by spirit fire.
- How does spirit fire desire to speak to you?
- What words come to you?
- Sit with those words that arise from spirit fire within you.
- What is your message from God?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, June 4, 2017, the Day of Pentecost (Year A)
Psalm 104:24-34, 35b
1 Corinthians 12:3b-13
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD