1“Very truly, I tell you, anyone who does not enter the sheepfold by the gate but climbs in by another way is a thief and a bandit. 2The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep hear his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4When he has brought out all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5They will not follow a stranger, but they will run from him because they do not know the voice of strangers.” 6Jesus used this figure of speech with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.
7So again Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8All who came before me are thieves and bandits; but the sheep did not listen to them. 9I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. 10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silence bringing your attention to the Breath.
- Let your energy go to your hearing senses.
- Listen for the voice of the Shepherd.
- How do you recognize the voice of the Shepherd?
- Hear the Shepherd call your name.
- How do you recognize the voice of the Shepherd calling your name?
- Sit with the Shepherd in the field.
- Who is the thief who wants to kill and destroy?
- Following the Shepherd’s voice, the one you know, see the Shepherd lead you through the gate to safety.
- Where is this gate leading you today?
- Notice the abundant life that awaits you.
- Open your other senses to hear, see, smell, taste and feel the abundance around you.
- What is your message from God?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, May 7, 2017, the Fourth Sunday of Easter (Year A)
1 Peter 2:19-25
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD