Leviticus 19:1-2, 9-18
1The LORD spoke to Moses, saying: 2Speak to all the congregation of the people of Israel and say to them: You shall be holy, for I the LORD your God am holy.
9When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very edges of your field, or gather the gleanings of your harvest. 10You shall not strip your vineyard bare, or gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the poor and the alien: I am the LORD your God.
11You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; and you shall not lie to one another. 12And you shall not swear falsely by my name, profaning the name of your God: I am the LORD.
13You shall not defraud your neighbor; you shall not steal; and you shall not keep for yourself the wages of a laborer until morning. 14You shall not revile the deaf or put a stumbling block before the blind; you shall fear your God: I am the LORD.
15You shall not render an unjust judgment; you shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great: with justice you shall judge your neighbor. 16You shall not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not profit by the blood of your neighbor: I am the LORD.
17You shall not hate in your heart anyone of your kin; you shall reprove your neighbor, or you will incur guilt yourself. 18You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against any of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Pay attention to the Breath. Inhale holiness. Exhale all that is keeping you from the Holy One. Continue this breathing exercise as you find freedom in your meditation time today.
- As you are created in the image of God, how are you holy, with God?
- As you live on this side of the garden, how are you unholy, without God?
- Inhale holiness. Exhale greed.
- Inhale holiness. Exhale idolatry.
- Inhale holiness. Exhale selfishness.
- Inhale holiness. Exhale hatred.
- Inhale love for your neighbor. Exhale jealousy.
- Inhale love for yourself. Exhale doubt and judgment.
- Be still and breath deeply the love of God in this place of freedom and love that surrounds you today.
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, February 19, 2017, the Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year A)
Leviticus 19:1-2, 9-18
1 Corinthians 3:10-11, 16-23
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD