1Praise the LORD!
I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart,
in the company of the upright, in the congregation.
2Great are the works of the LORD,
studied by all who delight in them.
3Full of honor and majesty is his work,
and his righteousness endures forever.
4He has gained renown by his wonderful deeds;
the LORD is gracious and merciful.
5He provides food for those who fear him;
he is ever mindful of his covenant.
6He has shown his people the power of his works,
in giving them the heritage of the nations.
7The works of his hands are faithful and just;
all his precepts are trustworthy.
8They are established forever and ever,
to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.
9He sent redemption to his people;
he has commanded his covenant forever.
Holy and awesome is his name.
10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;
all those who practice it have a good understanding.
His praise endures forever.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As you pay attention to the breath, feel the breath reach all parts of your body: to the top of your head, to the tips of your fingers, to the soles of your feet.
- Feel the breath restore you.
- Let your attention come to your heart.
- Notice all the things in your heart that give glory to God.
- Is there anything in your heart that is keeping you from giving your whole heart to God?
- Imagine taking out anything keeping you from God so that your whole heart delights in the Lord.
- Allow the warmth of this fullness to shine in you.
- Where does the warmth travel in your body?
- Where does the warmth travel beyond your body?
- Is there someone that needs to feel this warmth of God that shines through you?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, August 19, 2012, the Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B
1 Kings 2:10-12, 3:3-14
John 6:35, 51-58
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD