1 I give you thanks, O LORD, with my whole heart;
before the gods I sing your praise;
2 I bow down toward your holy temple
and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness;
for you have exalted your name and your word
3 On the day I called, you answered me,
you increased my strength of soul.
4 All the kings of the earth shall praise you, O LORD,
for they have heard the words of your mouth.
5 They shall sing of the ways of the LORD,
for great is the glory of the LORD.
6 For though the LORD is high, he regards the lowly;
but the haughty he perceives from far away.
7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies;
you stretch out your hand,
and your right hand delivers me.
8 The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;
your steadfast love, O LORD, endures forever.
Do not forsake the work of your hands.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As you inhale, breathe in God’s steadfast love and faithfulness.
- As you exhale, let go of any tension keeping your from the freedom of God.
- Continue to breathe as you create freedom within you.
- Consider the midst of trouble you are encountering.
- Scan your body and notice where this trouble is located in you.
- Focus on this place of trouble as you continue to breathe.
- See God’s hand stretch out toward you as you share the trouble with God.
- Continue to share with God until you feel lightness created in the midst of this trouble.
- Invite God to show you a path through the trouble.
- The Lord will fulfill the Lord’s purpose for you.
- Keep awake during the day as you remain open to God’s leading hand.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, June 10, 2012, the Tenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B
I Samuel 8:4-11 (12-15) 16-20 (11:14-15)
2 Corinthians 4:13-5:1
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.