12So then, brothers and sisters, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh — 13for if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.14For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. 15For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ — if, in fact, we suffer with him so that we may also be glorified with him.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As you inhale, embrace the spirit of adoption.
- As you exhale, let go of the spirit of slavery.
- Continue to breathe deeply as you become open and free.
- As you become free, rest in the arms of Abba! Father!
- Share any of your suffering with the one who suffered for you.
- Share any of your joy with the one who made you with joy.
- Ask Abba how the Spirit will lead you today.
- Sit and listen.
- Listen for God’s message for you.
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, June 3, 2012, Trinity Sunday, Year B
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.