44While Peter was still speaking, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who heard the word. 45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astounded that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles, 46for they heard them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter said, 47“Can anyone withhold the water for baptizing these people who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48So he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they invited him to stay for several days.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- As you read this text, feel the Holy Spirit fall upon you.
- Remember when you felt the Holy Spirit for the first time.
- Go back to that time and place.
- Where are you?
- Who is with you?
- What do you hear?
- What do you see?
- What do you smell?
- Be held in this place, savoring this time.
- Give glory to God in the words that come to you.
- When you are ready consider the following:
- How is the Holy Spirit with you today?
- What do you notice in the leading of the Spirit?
- Who needs to hear the Word?
- Is there a call to action from God?
- Give thanks to God for sending the Holy Spirit, for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, May 13, 2012, the Sixth Sunday of Easter Year B
1 John 5:1-6
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD.